Immigration Issues/doughter sponsor


I'm U S citizen and i have a daughter 13 years old she has been born in Mexico, she was living whit my sister there in Mexico since she has 6 months old now she is here whit me and i want to get the green card for her, the problem is when she was in Mexico she has a born certificate like my sister is her mam, and has an other where she is my daughter. my daughter is at school now but whit my sister last names, i want to know what is better try to get my daughter green card like my daughter or make an adoption from my sister. i appreciate your time. thanks

Hi Dianna,

1. Did your sister adopt her? How did your sister get a birth certificate with her name as the mother?

2. You said the child is in the US now?  Please keep in mind that children who entered illegally cannot apply for the green card.  How did she enter the United States?

3. Who petitioned for your green card?  When was it approved and when did you become a US citizen?

4. You can send the birth certificate to for me to review to see if I can help your daughter become a permanent resident.

Jack C Sung
attorney at law

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack Sung


Can answer: Immigration and visa issues Can't answer: Everything else


Been a practicing immigration attorney for 4 years.

Taiwanese American Lawyers Association. American Immigration Lawyers Association. Los Angeles County Bar Association

Southwestern International Law Journal

J.D. from Southwestern Univ. School of Law in 2007. Licensed attorney in California

Awards and Honors
LACBA 2011 Outstanding Public Service Award

©2017 All rights reserved.