Immigration Issues/Filing I-485- Question on I-20

Question
Hello- My date is now current and can file my AOS form starting Feb 1. I read somewhere that we need to submit the I-20 document from college.

I have been out of college for 9 years and don't have the I-20 that was issued to me then. I called the College and they said that only keep records for 5 years before shredding them.

What am i supposed to to? Is this mandatroy? Is there an alternative? letter etc?  Pls advise.

Thanks,

Answer

I-20's are not normally attached when filing the I-485 adjustment of status application. Thus, you will not require copy of the I-20's that you possessed several years ago.

It is clear that you were maintaining F1 student status at that time and that is why you were granted change of status, etc. during your stay in the U.S. and are now at the I-485 filing stage due to current priority date. Additional information about priority dates is here: www.h1b1.com/visawaiting.htm

Ajay K. Arora