Immigration Issues/Green Card change of location

Question
Hello Mr. Ajay K. Arora,

I had the following question regarding my Green Card application: My current company, based in Illinois, is willing to sponsor my Green Card. Once the green card application begins, is it possible for me to change to a California branch of the same company? In such a case, can I safely continue my Green Card application or will it have to be restarted due to the change of location?

Thank you for your help,
Ishita

Answer

The green card process, initiated through the filing of a PERM application after there has been recruitment (the job has been advertised) for U.S. workers by the company at the geographical location where you will be assigned, should indicate the address where you will work on a permanent basis in the future (when you receive your green card). If this location will be CA, then the green card process should state that the work location will be CA.

If, however, you current assignment to CA is only temporary, there is no problem as long as the company plans on employing you at the address noted on the PERM application. Information about PERM is here: www.h1b1.com/laborcert.htm

Ajay K. Arora