Immigration Issues/J1 waiver spouse, does that fall under cap?

Question

My wife is on J1 and I am on J2. She is going to apply for her J1 waiver, once she receives that I believe, I will be on H4.

I am going to start my fellowship from July 2012, which I can either do on J1 (meaning going from J2 to J1) or I can get an H1. However, my current hospital falls under cap and if that is the case, I can not start before Oct 2012.

Question is: Does J1 waiver spouse falls under the same H1b cap or they are exempt?

Thanks,

Dhaval.

Answer

You will be subject to the H1B visa cap, unless the petitioner is cap-exempt. In this instance, the petitioner is cap-exempt if it is an institute of higher education or affiliated with an institute of higher education. You should check again with the petitioner to determine if it has filed an H1B petition in the past on a cap-exempt basis.

Ajay K. Arora