Immigration Issues/L1 to H1B

Question
I am in L1 Status. My L1 ends Oct 2012. My assignment with my company ends June 2012. I want to change to H1B. What options do I have to maintain legal status and also work for another employer on H1B. Can you please advice?

Thanks,
J.

Answer

Due to visa cap issues, the H1B petition can be filed no earlier than April 01, 2012, and the employment start date cannot be earlier than Oct. 01, 2012.

You must maintain valid nonimmigrant status (such as L1 status) until Oct. 01, but this is possible only if you are employed by the L1 employer until the end of September. Since your employment will end of June, 2012, you should change to another status (such as B1/B2 visitor status) by filing a change of status application with the USCIS effective June, 2012 until Oct. 2012.

Ajay K. Arora