Immigration Issues/Marriage during OPT?

Question

I am currently on F-1 status and it expires in 2015. I have a question regarding whether i can go to India during my OPT tenure and get married , bring my wife back with me. Is it risk to go back to India during OPT? What are the chances for my wife getting a Dependent visa during my OPT and what status should i bring her on? She is currently a employee in an MNC and has 2 years of experience, Is it possible for her to work in USA?When can she be eligible to work in US? What all document do i need for this process?

Answer

OPT is F1 status. I would recommend that you notify your DSO (also known as international student advisor) at your university about your travel plans so that the DSO can issue you a new I-20 if required and verify that your information is up to date in SEVIS and that you are otherwise maintaining your F1 status.

The U.S. Consulate where your wife will apply for F2 visa stamp will issue it to her on the basis of the fact that you are maintaining your F1 status and that she is your wife and that you have an unexpired F1 visa stamp in your passport. As to actual documents required, when your wife applies for the visa at the Consulate she will be provided with a list of documents to carry with her to the interview.

Ajay K. Arora