Immigration Issues/Reactivation of old H1B (2008 quota)

Question

I got my H1B approved in 2008 and initially came to US on H1B in Nov 2008. However, the funding for my project got cancelled due to recession and I first got my visa status changed to F2 (my husband was working on F1 OPT at that time) in May 2009 and later I got my H4 stamped in Oct-09 (leading to my H1B being cancelled without prejudice). I want to know if I can reactivate my old H1B now or would need to go through the lottery process again?

Answer

The H1B employer (whether this is the old H1B employer or a new employer makes no difference) will file an H1B petition for you with the USCIS requesting change of status from H4 to H1B. Upon approval, you will be granted change of status to H1B. You will not be subject to the visa cap as you earlier had H1B status within the past six years.

Ajay K. Arora