Immigration Issues/Travel while change of status app. pending

Question
Hi Ajay,

I am filling my spouse's change of status application from H4 to F1. I remember the last time I had filled the application for change of status from B1/B2 to H4 it took 5 months. My wife is currently in US on a valid H4 visa. If I file her change of status application would she be able to travel back to US on the valid H4 visa during the time the application is still pending?

Answer

If your wife travels while her change of status application is pending, it will be denied by the USCIS. Thus, although she can enter on unexpired H4 visa stamp, assuming that you are maintaining your H1B status, the pending application to change status to F1 will be denied on the basis of her travel.

Ajay K. Arora