Immigration Issues/Visa Renewal

Question
If I obtain approval of an extension for an L1-B or H1-B visa (actually I am on an L1-B and my partner is on an H1-B but both our visas expire at more or less exactly the same time) in the United States how do we:

1.  Go about having our I-94 expiration dates extended; and
2.  I have been told that there is a visa revalidation process available through the State Department in Washington DC in cases where my I-94 date extends beyond the validity date on my visa.  Is that true?  If so what is the process for having my visa revalidated in that way?

Answer

When your employer files an H1B or L1B extension petition with the USCIS, the approval notice issued by the USCIS will have a new I-94 attached to the bottom of the approval notice.

A valid visa stamp is required only for entry to the U.S., but you can remain legally in the U.S. and maintain your nonimmigrant visa status based on unexpired I-94. If you do travel outside the U.S., you will require an unexpired visa stamp to enter the U.S. This visa stamp can only be issued by a U.S. Consulate outside the U.S., normally in your home country.

Ajay K. Arora