You are here:

Immigration Issues/Conversion from h4 to B1


My spouse is on H1 and me and my kid are on h4 visa.
Recently I got to know that we can get our h4 converted to B1(business visa).
There is one company in my country with presence in US as well.So can I can take the offer from the company in my country and work here in the US office for some time.
I understand that on B1 it is not allowed to work , but here it is just for 2-3 months.
I would like to know if this is actually possible and will it affect the filing of my H1 visa(which I am planning to file on Apr 1 2013)


Dear Jul2012:
You question is not clear as to what you want to do - 1) You want to convert H4 to B1 or 2) you want to convert h4 to B1 to work?

1) If you qualify, you may convert current H4 to B1 - yes;
2) You may not be eligible to work on B1. working on B1 would be unlawful and may affect your future status and filings.

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.