Immigration Issues/F1-OPT and H1B and I-485

Question
I have questions regarding the change of visa status and abandoning of I-485 petition.
1. I filed my I-485 during my F1-OPT then my F1-OPT is expired so I have to switch to H1-B status. Will it affect my I-485 petition?
2. Since I am in H1-B status and waiting for I-485 to be approved and I plan to travel back to my home country, Can I get my H1-B visa stamp at US embassy in my home country before i come back to USA?
3. Will this H1-B visa stamp will affect my I-485 application?

Thank you

Atsawa

Answer

The filing of I-485 will allow you to apply for EAD (employment authorization document) to allow you to work if your F1 OPT has expired.

However, it is possible to maintain nonimmigrant H1B visa status while I-485 is pending. Since H visa status allows for intention to immigrate to the U.S., it is also OK if you travel abroad and obtain an H1B visa stamp from a U.S. Consulate. Any of these actions will not negatively affect the pending I-485.

Ajay K. Arora