You are here:

Immigration Issues/Green Card Eligibility


I am a US citizen who is about to get married so I could file for a green card for my wife. However, I am concerned that I might have some problems going through with this because of my tax, salary and other matters.

I owe over $20,000 in tax, I'm using food stamp and I have a son from previous relationship. I also have a traffic ticket which have now become a felony because I didn't appear in court to make payment. However, I have recently paid for it.

What is the best way to ensure a successful filing for my wife?  
Would I be able to file a green card for her given my situation?

I would be very grateful for your advise on the matter. Thank you

Dear Fedgeh:

Your tax obligations may be overcome by getting a joint sponsor; however, you  being on food stamps may create problems (Pettiitoner seeking benefits does not look good for immigration pusposes.)  You may have to stop usint food stamps.

Aslo, having a child from previous relationship would not deter immigration benefits to your current spouse. And, as for the traffic ticket - well, you have paid it so all seem fine. I would suggest go ahead get married and file immigrant visa for your spouse.

You may seek professional help in this process. We would be more than happy to assist you in this regard - if you so desire.

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]