You are here:

Immigration Issues/Green Card Holder Entering after 11 months



My dad is a green card holder for 15 years. He left US last year and out for 11 months without re entry permit. Now he wants to re enter before 1 year. Does his GC gets revoked at POE ? Does Immigration office give hard time for him

From past 4 years he is travelling and entering usa each year with re entry permits. This time he thought he will be back within 6 months , but unfortunately due to other circumstance it got extended to 11 months. He has to come now to USA because to maintain green card. Any way after 2 years he wants to settle down in USA . If he allowed entry then again he will travel for   2 years because of other commitments.

1) Can I let him re enter to USA ?
2) Few years back he sponsored me for my green card , now i am planning to apply for citizenship. So Can i make him abandon his GC voluntariy , and when he is ready to settle down in USA , can i petition for him after after i become citizen.

Please let me know which is the best option. .

Dear John:
1) He is okay to re-enter (only problem would be the time for him to apply for his Citizenship).
2) If, for any reason he has any problem, you would be able to apply for him [for his adjustment of status] after securing US citizenship.

However, to me - it seems fine as of now.

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.