Immigration Issues/H4 to F1 Change of Status & Travel

Question
Hi Ajay,
I am applying for my wife's change of status from H4 to F1 for spring 2013 (classes start Feb 4th'2013 ).

She is on valid H4 visa now and plans to travel to India during Dec-2012 and Jan-2013.

Question is - can she travel and come back on valid H4 visa while she has applied for F1 visa?

Once she is back - can she use this F1 visa to start school or she needs to get visa stamped on new F1 status to return and start school?

Thanks in advance,

Answer

Your wife will remain in H4 status while application to change status to F1 is pending, assuming that you continue to maintain your H1B status. However, travel outside the U.S. while change of status application is pending will probably result in denial of the change of status application by the USCIS. Thus, if she must travel, she should expect to apply for F1 visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate (normally in the home country). If she enter on existing H4 visa stamp, and the change of status application to F1 is denied (which it probably will be), she can apply for change of status to F1 again with new application and filing fee, etc.

Ajay K. Arora