Immigration Issues/Legalizing doc.


QUESTION: I want to sponsor my son from Spain to come to Canada. Does his police certificate have to be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affair in Spain for its validity here in Canada?
Thank you very much for your time.

ANSWER: Dear Eddie,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Generally the process to get the Police Clearance is that an applicant should apply for a Certificación de Antecedentes Penales. Blank forms may be purchased at a newsstand or tobacconist and sent to:

Registro Central de Penados y Rebeldes
Plaza de Jacinto Benavente, 3
28012 Madrid

Please note that the full names of the applicant’s mother and father should always be listed on the application form. Once your son get his Police certificate then he should submit with his application. It seems that Ministry does involve in terms of issuing police certificate.


---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Does my son need to legalize his single certificate from Spain at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Spain and/or  at the Canadian Embassy in Spain or there is no need of legalization for the purpose of the sponsorship process to Canada?
Thank you very much for your time.

Dear Eddie,

As long as the certificate has been issued by the concerned authority of the country, it's sufficient. But there is no harm to get it endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Spain. If you need specific detail then I suggest you to write an email to Canadian Consulate in Spain.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ravi Khosla


You can ask question related to Canadian Immigration, policies and procedures.


Serving the community since last 25 years in regards to their immigration matters.

Senior Paralegal (Immigration) CVT Law Office Surrey BC


©2017 All rights reserved.