Immigration Issues/F-1 student status and marriage

Question
Dear Mr. Arora,

I am getting married soon but before I finalize my marriage date I want to know if there is any time period after getting student visa in which one should avoid getting married to a permanent resident?  I have heard that a student visa holder shouldn't marry with in 3 months of getting visa as it can create problems,  specially while applying for adjustment of status or Green Card. Is it true, if yes then for how long I should wait?

I do appreciate you making yourself available and your knowledge in this matter.

Thanks
DT

Answer

F student visa status does not allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S. Thus, it is not advisable to have a pre-conceived intent to marry a U.S. citizen or permanent resident shortly after entry to the U.S., as the primary motivation should be maintenance of full-time study status through study at the sponsoring university or institution. As a practical matter, it is advisable to wait at least 60-90 days after entry to marry a U.S. citizen or permanent resident after entry.

Ajay K. Arora