Immigration Issues/missing documents


hello, i'm a male 31 years old, i came to the United states with a student visa
(f-1), and over stayed the time given to me by immigration. I attended an
english school who were the ones that helped me with my visa and i-20, and there
for the school that immigration new i was here in the US to attend.

I stopped going to the school and fell out of status, later i lost my documents,
in other words, the passport, with visa and I-94. I'm now going to marry an
american citizen but i dont have my documents to prove that i entered the
country legally.

So my question is: would i be able to ask the school for copies of my
documents?? they should have those right? and if they do, would they be likely
to provide me with them??; would they report me to immigration? is it safe for
me to call them directly and ask? (i live now in another state and its very hard
for me to make the trip out there). Sorry i realized this are a lot of questions
but im desperate!..I HOPE u can help me!


Dear Lou:
As per info provided, you seem to have entered the United States lawfully [on student visa (F1)] and therefore, you are eligible to apply for GC in the United States based on your marriage to a USC (United States Citizen.)

However, you will have to prove that you entered the country lawfully by way of copies of the Visa, stamp on your PP, and/or your I-94 document. You may seek copies of these documents from the school without fear of being reported (you should be fine as long as you are married to a USC and have applied for I-130 petition and your GC applications.

You may also seek copy of your I-94 document from USCIS by filing a request on form I-102 (see, USCIS.GOV).  

I would recommend you get married ASAP and file your case without delay with proper professional help. Our offices are experienced in such cases and we would be more than happy to assist you if you so desire. You may contact us telephonic or via email.  

Best wishes,
Ajay Singh, Esq.
845-784-1500 (tel.) 646-807-4582 (fax)

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.