Immigration Issues/Work permit


Hi Ravi,
I'm an exchange student here in Canada from Australia who is looking to apply to work temporarily for the next few months. Does applying for a work permit (outside of Canada) have to be done from my home country or can I do it at any office abroad?

Thank you for your time,

Dear Amy,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Please note that Visiting or exchange students international students are not eligible for an Off-Campus Work Permit under the usual provisions. However, it is possible that you may be eligible for a Student Work Away or Student Work Holiday Program. Therefore, make an inquiry with the Canadian consular office in Sydney as to eligibility and quota limitations.


P.S: Having known the fact that your are NOT eligible, if you wish to apply for a work permit within Canada (Port of Entry); you can do it at your peril because end of the day visa officer has huge discretion. And it is matter of $150 fee to Govt. and there is no negative effect on your future applications to Canada.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ravi Khosla


You can ask question related to Canadian Immigration, policies and procedures.


Serving the community since last 25 years in regards to their immigration matters.

Senior Paralegal (Immigration) CVT Law Office Surrey BC


©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]