Immigration Issues/Canadian TRV- Post Graduate Work Permit holder

Question
Dear Mr Khosla,
Hope this email finds you well. I applied for an extension for a Canadian Temporary resident visa on November 5th from the Abu Dhabi visa office.
My background is that I am a Pakistani citizen legally admitted to the state of Kuwait and that's why I chose to apply from the Abu Dhabi office. Moreover, I have been living in Canada for the past 4 years since 2008. I initially traveled to Canada as a student in 2008 for under graduate education, received my honors degree from York University in Toronto and upon completion of my degree I received a post graduate work permit valid until July 9, 2015. In addition, in 2008 I received a temporary resident visa and study permit from the Abu Dhabi visa office valid till April 30th 2012.
In August 2012, I came to Kuwait to visit my parents and thought of applying my TRV from the Abu Dhabi embassy to return to Canada. As mentioned above, I sent my visa applications and passport to the embassy on November 5th, 2012 and it is going to be 6 weeks already. Whenever I try to reach the embassy for inquiring my trv application status, I am made known that certain mandatory background checks were carried out and they don't know how much longer it would take for the completion of my application.
I am very frustrated and stressed about my application since it appears to take indefinite amount of time to complete my application. I would very much appreciate your response regarding my case.
Thanking in anticipation,
Sincerely,
Waleed Ul Hasan

Answer
Dear Mr. Hasan,

ASA

If you were contacted me earlier, I suggested you to get your TRV from Ottawa and that takes only 4 weeks. Now the office in Abu will make all sort of inquiries both from Pakistan and Canada (usual clerical check) in regards to your background checks and what not and that takes time. I am not in a position to give you the time frame but normally it takes from 8-12 weeks.

Ravi

Ravi Khosla