Immigration Issues/immigration


I am a naturalized US citizen. I have been abroad for the last nine years. Now I am back in USA, as I am in the process of bringing my wife on family based petition. My question is while I was abroad I was not working.Now when I do the affidavit of support what kind of statement do I have to write to the visa center that I was not having an income since the visa center will ask me for my income tax returns.I understand that I will have a joint sponsor.Thanks in advance for your help.

Dear Adal Kass:
To my understanding, being an American Citizen you are duty bound to file tax returns even if not earning or making any income; however, you may provide a cogent explanation [through your CPA] and I believe everything will be fine.  

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.