Immigration Issues/L1B & L2 Simultaneously

Question
Hi, I am currently in US on L1B expiring on Sep 2013 through company A. My wife is also in US on L1B expiring on Jul 2013 through Company A. Can I apply for L2 visa and EAD and at the same time keep my L1 status. If so, can I apply for L2 directly or do we have to go through company A.

Answer

An application for change of status from L1 to L2 status filed with the USCIS is an application that you sign. The signature of Co. A is not required. The EAD application can be filed only after L2 status has been granted. Again, you will sign the EAD application.

However, since you can hold only one status at a time in the U.S., and the latest action by the USCIS will have been grant of change of status to L2, you will no longer be in L1 status when you are granted L2 status.

Ajay K. Arora