Immigration Issues/LPR applying for wife on F1

Question

I got my LPR almost a year ago and then I got married to my long time gf (now my wife) who is on F1.  My wife is getting her PhD and has her visa till June 2013.  She is hoping to get done by then and look for jobs or hopefully get into a post doc. degree.

I haven't applied for a change in status (I-130..I-485) or any other visa for her right now.

We are hoping to get advice on what to do next.

We would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thanks,
Raj.

Answer

An immigrant petition can be filed for your wife in the F2A category: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

I recommend that she not travel outside the U.S. since F visa status does not allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S. Your wife should continue to maintain non-immigrant visa status in the interim. Your wife can adjust status in the U.S. either when you become a U.S. citizen, or when the priority date is current. Additional information is here: www.h1b1.com/citizenship.htm and www.h1b1.com/visawaiting.htm

Ajay K. Arora