Immigration Issues/N-400, Parts 6 and 7

I am applying for US citizenship based on marriage to a US citizen. Parts 6 and 7 of form N400 reference "5 years" for employment, where I lived, how many trips I took outside the US. Since I am applying based on the 3 year exception for marriage, do I only go back 3 years for these questions, or do I need to go back 5 years?

By way of background, I have been a GC holder since 1998. I temporarily left the US and returned on a valid reentry permit. However, I did not preserve my residency for naturalization purposes. My GC will expire before 5 years, so I am applying based on marriage.

Dear Ann,

1. For employment references you should go back 5 years.  You should also go back five years for the travel.

2. The form asks for 5 years regardless of whether you are applying based on marriage or not.  It does not hurt to disclose your employment history and travel record for the last 5 years.

Jack C Sung
attorney at law

Jack Sung

Can answer: Immigration and visa issues Can't answer: Everything else

Been a practicing immigration attorney for 4 years.

Taiwanese American Lawyers Association. American Immigration Lawyers Association. Los Angeles County Bar Association

Southwestern International Law Journal

J.D. from Southwestern Univ. School of Law in 2007. Licensed attorney in California

LACBA 2011 Outstanding Public Service Award