Immigration Issues/Relocation after I-140

Question
Hello Mr. Jack Sung,

I had the following question for you - My company is currently sponsoring my Green Card and my home base is Illinois. If I decide to change departments within my company and shift to California AFTER I receive my I-140, will my GC process have to be restarted? If yes, will the priority date remain the same?

PS: I am NOT working for a consulting company.

Thank You,
Ishita

Answer
Dear Ishita,

Your question cannot be properly answered without knowing some details to your job position, PERM and I-140 information.  Without these information, I can only tell you that it is possible to change job internally and still maintain your I-140.  However, it is also possible that you may need to restart the PERM process if the new job position is substantially different from the one on which your PERM was certified.  Sorry for the generality but this is the best I can do without having sufficient information.

Jack C Sung
attorney at law

http://www.immigrationattorneyla.com

Jack Sung