You are here:

Immigration Issues/Relocation after I-140


Hello Mr. Ajay Singh,

I had the following question for you - My company is currently sponsoring my Green Card and my home base is Illinois. If I decide to change departments within my company and shift to California AFTER I receive my I-140, will my GC process have to be restarted? If yes, will the priority date remain the same?

PS: I am NOT working for a consulting company.

Thank You,

Dear Ishita:
With moving to a different the GC process dose not need to be re-started; you only need to file a change of address (Form AR11) to USCIS and update your information.  However, if the change is merely because of change in department, you may keep your initial address as permanent address in record and there would be no need for any change of address.  

Best wishes,
Ajay Singh, Esq.
845-784-1500 (Wk.) 646-807-4582 (Fax); AJASIN@GMAIL.COM

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.