Immigration Issues/Relocation after I-140

Question
QUESTION: Hi Mr. Ajay K. Arora,

I had the following question for you - My company is currently sponsoring my Green Card and my home base is Illinois. If I decide to change departments within my company and shift to California AFTER I receive my I-140, will my GC process have to be restarted but the priority date will remain the same?

Thank You!

ANSWER: Hi,

As long as the intention is to be employed on a "permanent" basis in Illinois, it is OK if the company relocates you to CA after receiving I-140 approval. After all, the argument can be made that the home base is still Illinois, and that the CA location is only "temporary."

QUESTION: Hi Mr, Ajay K. Arora,

I had the following follow up question - If I change JOBS after receiving my I-140, will my PERM process have to be restarted? If yes, can I retain my priority date?

Thanks,
Ishita

Answer

If the I-140 has been approved, and the I-485 has been filed and pending for at least six months, and the new job is in a similar occupational category, then the GC process does not have to be started all over again. The pending I-485 will be approved if the new employer sends a letter to the USCIS offering permanent, full-time employment.

However, if any of the above conditions above are not fulfilled, then the GC process through the filing of PERM needs to be started all over again, although you can maintain the earlier I-140 priority date.

Ajay K. Arora