Immigration Issues/visa


hi,l entered the united states lawfully from malaysia but ma original country is my visa expires in may but my i20 expires in wat should l do,where will l go to get a new visa or its okay.and l also wanna get married so will ma status change

Hi Cynthia,

1. You are legal in the US until 2014 under F1 D/S status, even if your
visa is expired.

2. You will only need a visa if you travel out of the US and come back.  If
you do travel out of the US after your F-1 visa expires, you must reapply
for another F-1 visa from the US Embassy abroad before you can re-enter the

3. If you get married with a US citizen, you can contact me and I can get
you the green card within 6 months.  You can change your status to
permanent resident after marriage to a US citizen.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack Sung


Can answer: Immigration and visa issues Can't answer: Everything else


Been a practicing immigration attorney for 4 years.

Taiwanese American Lawyers Association. American Immigration Lawyers Association. Los Angeles County Bar Association

Southwestern International Law Journal

J.D. from Southwestern Univ. School of Law in 2007. Licensed attorney in California

Awards and Honors
LACBA 2011 Outstanding Public Service Award

©2017 All rights reserved.