Immigration Issues/Visa Stamping while visiting a country

Question
My husband changed his status from F1 to H4 here in the US.  USCIS has sent us the approved notice. We would like to travel to China in the summer but we are from the Philippines. Does he need to get an H4 visa in order to re-enter the US? Can we get it in China or do we have to go back to the Philippines for that?

Answer

An H4 visa stamp will be required to enter the U.S. Normally a U.S. Consulate in a particular country will provide the visa stamp only if the applicant presently resides in that country, or if it is the applicant's home country. In some instances, application for visa stamping can also be made in Canada: http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/visas/categories-and-requirements/important-no

Since this appears to only be a visit to China, it is unlikely that a U.S. Consulate in China will issue an H4 visa stamp to your husband.

Ajay K. Arora