Immigration Issues/I-130 petition for married daughter

Question
Hello Mr. Arora,

I am Hiral Mehta from Toronto, Canada. My parents and brother just got their citizenships through naturalization in Texas. Now they want to file petition I-130 for me. I am married and living with husband in Toronto. My questions are,
1) If we go for F3 category petition, my father would file for me. Current timeline for application to be current is 10 years. What if my father will no longer there by the end of 10 years? Is this petition is transferable at that time to my mother or brother's name?
2) To avoid above said uncertainty, should we file two separate I-130 under my father and mother's or brother's name?

Thank you.

Answer

Depending on the health (and projected health) of your father and/or mother, it is prudent to file an I-130 petition in the F3 category both through your father (and/or mother) as well as through your brother in the F4 category: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

An I-130 can be filed only by a single petitioner, and is not transferable. Thus, if your father files for you, and unfortunately passes away, the petition cannot be "transferred" to your mother.

Ajay K. Arora