Immigration Issues/COPR validation


My 84 year old mother has just received her COPR for Canada. She is already living with us in Nova Scotia and her general health and mental condition (she has mild dementia) make it difficult for her to travel. To get her COPR validated we plan to take her, by car, over the Canadian/US border from New Brunswick to Maine.

My mother is a UK citizen and holds a current UK passport.
I would like to know:
- what documents etc we will need to take with us to make sure that everything goes smoothly at the border crossing.
- whether immigration officials work at the crossings even on holidays and weekends (we plan to travel on Easter Monday.

Finally, do you have any advice to offer on how to make sure that the whole process goes well and with a minimum amount of stress for my mother?


Thank you for your question.  You might want to contact the CIC call centre to find out if there is an office in your area where your mother can "land locally" rather than going all the way to the border to flagpole.  All she needs to bring with her to either a local office or the border is her passport and the Confirmation of Permanent Residence she was issued.  You can also phone ahead to CBSA at the border where you plan to land to see if they are open to accept immigration landings on Easter Monday.  My guess is that they will say yes for daytime hours but a simple phone call will let you know for sure.

Good luck and happy landing.


Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.