Immigration Issues/dependents

Hi Roxanne, sorry for the plethora of questions on this:"

If the immigrant applicant needs to include his spouse/sponsor applicant's Canadian adult independent children as his own stepchildren on the IMM 5406 Additional Family Form....does this mean that they should also be included as his stepchildren on the original 0008 Generic Application Form for immigrant, when it asks Question 3, "How many family members are in this application"??  Even though half-way down the form, they clearly stipulate they want to know about dependents only, and only if they are not already Canadian permanent residents or citizens?  

And again, in form IMM 5490, in the Sponsored Spouse Questionnaire, Question 8 asks if applicant has family members living in it referring to his stepchildren by the sponsoring spouse?  Sorry, lol, colour me confused...

Thanks for your time,

Hi Sonia,

On the IMM0008, he does not list dependents that are already Canadian.  When it says "included in this application" it means also applying for permanent residence to Canada.  Do you understand now?

The IMM 5490 has a different purpose.  It is trying to ascertain his connections in Canada. He can list the step-children there as they are considered family members.

Hope that helps.

Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Roxanne Jessome

I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.

I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.