Immigration Issues/L2 EAD to H1B conversion

Question
Hi, I am currently in USA working on L2 EAD.I joined the job directly from the US.My employer has agreed to file for my H1 to remove my dependency on the L1. Can you please provide me your inputs on the following:-
1) Should I go to India to file for my H1.Can't this be done from US itself. Please note this is the first time H1 is being filed for me.
2) Should H1 be filed with COS. Is it required as I am filing H1 for the first time.
3) If H1 gets rejected can i continue working on my L2 EAD if my husband is still on L1.
A reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
S.C.

Answer

The H1B petition can be filed requesting change of status. Assuming that your L2 status is valid at least until September 30, 2012, the H1B petition is approvable and you will be granted change of status as well automatically effective Oct. 01, 2012. (Due to H1B visa cap issues, the earliest employment start date will be Oct. 01, 2012).

If H1B petition is denied for any reason, you will continue to maintain your underlying L2 nonimmigrant visa status.

Ajay K. Arora