Immigration Issues/l2 to h4 transfer



Recently, my husband's HR notified him that his L to H conversion was approved. We understand from his approval notice that his H is effective from 3/16/2012. But i am still on L2 visa with avalid I94 and no cos was filed for me.

In this circumstance, please advice:
1. If I'd lost my L2 status as of 3/16/2012 though my L2 I94 is still valid?
2. Can my husband's employer file for an L2 to H4 conversion now?
3. Is it better to go back to country and get a new visa stamped?

Id highly appreciate your early advice in this regard.

1) your L2 status terminates with your husbands H status approval with it's starting date.  As you know, L2 is a dependent visa - there is no L2 if there is no L1.
2) Sure; however, as H4 is a dependent visa it is not incumbent on the employer to file.  You may file the H4 yourself based on approved H1.
3) Entirely your decision; if you wish to travel out side the U.S, you may consider this option - because you need the visa stamped on your PP to travel abroad.  

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.