Immigration Issues/photocopies

Question
Hi, Roxanne.  Thanks for your previous answer about old UCI's.  I will get back to you if ever I find out.  You suggested sending the old entry card in along with others.  But now I have two questions.  

1.  Individual sponsoring a spouse became a citizen many years ago, and therefore would be presenting a copy of Certificate or Passport, not the entry card or permanent resident docs.  Should the entry docs be submitted anyway, now, just because of this UCI number problem?  

2.  Regarding photocopies.  They do not request certified or notarized copies, in the document checklist; but throughout the instructions they insert helpful hints on how to get documents certified, and who is authorized etc.  Is that supposed to be a big hint?  Or are regular photocopies acceptable where a true certified copy has not been explicitly requested?

Thanks, once again.

Answer
Hi Sonia,

It is correct to submit the copy of the passport ID page.  But you will see on the Application to Sponsor that it asks if the applicant is a naturalized citizen and then it asks for further information.  If you don't have it, it is completely ok.  They will be able to find it themselves since Foreign Affairs (who deals with passports) and CIC are connected.  

Regarding certified or notarized photocopies, only do it they ask.  If the checklists don't call for it, you don't need to provide it.  A lot of people have to get basic documents like birth certificates translated.  These translations must be done through a certified translator and notarized or certified copies of the original submitted to CIC.  That's why those helpful hints are there. But if all of your documents are in English or French, just give them certified copies where they ask for it.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
www.joincanada.com

Roxanne Jessome