Immigration Issues/Reactivate H1B

Question

I got an H1B from my current employer A in 2005 which was valid till 30th April 2008. I went back to India before 30th April 2008 without and my employer A filed an L1B for me and I came to US on L1B. Which is valid till Jan 2013(based on total 5 years on both H1B and L1B).

Now, can I reactivate my H1B which was valid till 30th April 2008 with a new employer B and get a COS so that I can work with new employer B. I have got mixed answers on this from my circle. Please guide.

Thanks,
Anil

Answer

H1B status normally allows for aggregate of six years in H1B status, whereas L1B status normally allows for aggregate of five years. However, the 6 plus 5 cannot be combined to reach an aggregate of 11 years.

Employer B can file an H1B petition for you requesting change of status from L1B to H1B. However, the status granted by the USCIS will be valid for only one year. However, if you have been physically outside the U.S. for at least one year continuously at some point of time between 2005 and present, you would be entitled to another six years aggregate in H1B status.

Ajay K. Arora