Immigration Issues/Transfer of visitor visa to H4

Question
Hello,

I would like to know if my husband can transfer his visitor visa to H4 visa while he is visiting me in the USA. I have a valid H1B visa and my I-140 has been submitted for approval.

Thank You.
Deepika

Answer

When present in the U.S., your husband can file an application with the USCIS requesting change of status from visitor to H4 visa status. It is generally recommended to wait at least 60 days after entry prior to filing an application to change status. Your husband will sign this application.

It is OK if you have an intention to immigrate permanently to the U.S., as H visa status is dual-intent, i.e., it allows an intention to reside permanently in the U.S. even though it is a non-immigrant visa category. General information about the H4 visa category is here: http://h1b1.com/family.htm

Ajay K. Arora