Immigration Issues/UCI/Client ID

Question
I have read your advice on UCI/Client ID if one cannot find original landing documents, and will plan to include citizenship docs with app. and put random number into 1344E and cross it out by hand, thank you for your earlier responses to others.  My question is only...just how far back did the UCI/Client ID system go?  The sponsor came to Canada in 1966, should that person even bother looking for a ragged, old entry card, only to find no number on it?  Or will a new one be generated as this person's first interaction with Immigration Canada since the system was instituted?  Thanks for your time.

Answer
Hi Sonia,

I'm sorry that I've taken so long to answer this question. And I must apologize again because I have been unable to find the answer!  I've spoken to several colleagues about this and there have been a few dates thrown around but no definitive answer.  I can say that by doing an Access To Information request, Client ID numbers have been found as far back as 1972.  

I have submitted copies of older landing documents in the past where the Client ID was not indicated and in the acknowledgement of receipt from CIC, they have provided us with the ID. I'm not sure whether it was generated at that moment or had always been there.  So my advice would be to make a copy of the old document and submit it with whatever application you are filing and everything will work.

If you do ever find out a definite answer to this mystery, please come back and tell me!

Thanks,

Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
www.joincanada.com

Roxanne Jessome