Immigration Issues/I-485 AOS and OPT Application

Question
Hello,

I am a F-1 student graduating in May, 2012. I recently filed I-485 AOS (with EAD and AP) in March, 2012 as my husband's dependent.

While waiting for the approval of my I-485 EAD here, I have a job offer starting on 7/1/2012. So I was thinking of applying for OPT while waiting on my I-485 EAD. The international student adviser was willing to help me, but was concerned that my OPT application might be denied due to my I-485 AOS. He was also concerned my I-485 AOS application might be screwed by OPT application.

Could you comment on the likelihood for me to get the OPT approved, in case my I-485 EAD does not arrive prior to 7/1/2012?

Is there a chance my I-485 AOS approval will be delayed or denied by OPT application?

Thank you for your help,

Wendy

Answer

The EAD application filed as part of I-485 typically takes 2 to 3 months for approval. OPT approval will take about the same time (2 to 3 months for approval after filing).

However, there is no disadvantage in trying to maintain F1 student status while I-485 is pending. Thus, it is OK to file OPT, and indeed there is no question on the OPT application as to whether an I-485 application has been filed. I do not see any disadvantage, and there will be no delay in I-485 approval. Incidentally, I do not recommend traveling outside the U.S. until advance parole document is issued, as F visa status does not allow for intention to immigrate to the U.S. permanently.

Ajay K. Arora