You are here:

Immigration Issues/Details regarding L1 status



I am single and in US on L2 visa. I want to get married. How much time the status from single to married will take & who will file company or I and it will be filled in US or from the country I belong to???

As well as do I need to go through the interview process again?


ANSWER: Dear Sammy, it may be a typo - but L2 is a dependent visa; if you are single you cannot be on L2 but L1.  So, my understanding is that you are on L1 visa and want to file the marriage case.
If you are married to a United States citizen - the processing may take sometime between 4-6 months if the case is filed while you are in US. If you file for visa processing abroad, that is, you will go back to your home country and get the visa at the consulate, the processing may take some time between 4-8 months (depending on processing time of the concerned consulate.)

As for filing, marriage case is a personal matter - so your company may not file for you.  

In a marriage case you and your spouse will have to go through the interview process to show and prove that the marriage is not sham but genuine and bona-fide to have a family.

Best wishes,   

[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: I am sorry but it was a typo mistake... I am on L1 visa and I am an indian citizen but working in US.. I want to get married in India & take my wife to US. My wife is also indian citizen... Are you sure that the company will not file the visa???? and please tell me how much time the interview procerdure will take if  I will get married in May 1st week??

There is nothing to be sure or not sure. If you get married you would be filing the L2 visa which is a dependent visa and your company may not file file it - I said may not - they may though. Processing of the L2 visa may take some time between 3-5 months.

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]