You are here:

Immigration Issues/Extension of PGWP possible or not ??


QUESTION: My PGWP is expiring in May.My CEC file is under process...medicals are done.My company has denied to give me an LMO. My agent says I can request a letter from my employer saying that I am a full time employee with them and they want me to continue working with them (which is just a piece of letter ).I can then send this letter and my medical request from CEC and apply for WP extension close to the expiry of my PGWP.This will give me an implied status and I can work after my PGWP expires, in short I can buy time and still work.As it will take a couple of months for the CPC,Vegreville office to reply me that time I might get passport request from Buffalo for CEC.My question is

1) Should I go ahead and do as he says???
2) I have read at some places that we cannot work post expiry of PGWP unless we have an LMO .Is that true???(I had received 3 years of PGWP which expires in May)
3) Will I be under implied status as I am applying before the expiry of my PGWP???
4) Is there any other way you can recommend???

Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Shaz,

Thank you for your question.  First, the agent is technically right that if you apply to extend your PGWP you will have implied status and be able to continue working until a decision is reached.  However, processing times for extensions in CPC Vegreville have shortened significantly so you will likely get a NEGATIVE decision within 3 to 4 weeks, not a few months.  But this procedure is just wrong and I don't like to hear that people are "playing" with the system like this.  You are right that in order to extend your work permit you would need an LMO to change from a PGWP to a regular, LMO based work permit.

If the employer will not apply an LMO, there is no way for you to continue working.  Even if you follow the agents advice, at most you will get a few extra weeks on implied status before you are refused.  If you want to stay in Canada WITHOUT working until you receive permanent residence, you should apply to change your conditions from worker to visitor.  Otherwise, you can always go home and wait until processing is complete for your permanent residence.  You don't have to keep working in the CEC category.

It's too bad the employer isn't willing to do the LMO.  It's a very easy process for someone with an expiring PGWP if you are in a skilled position and they know what they are doing.

I hope this information helps.


Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigraton Consultant

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thanks a lot Roxanne for the advice.
Is it possible to apply for visitor visa and after I get one ....apply for work permit extension???
I will be talking to my company as I worked as a co-op and then they hired me ..its been 3 years now am working for the same compnay.Just coz my company is a big one,they are not willing to apply for an LMO as they say there is a lot of paper work and disclosure of the comapany.I will still be requesting them...but getting LMO will again take time.

Also if I first apply for work permit extension and then if I get refused can I apply for visitor visa???Or do I have to leave the country and apply from my home country??Even after refusal of work permit will they give me some time limit like 60 days or 90 days to leave the country ??

Thanks a lot.

Hi Shaz,

If you are refused for the work permit, you will have 90 days from the date you receive the refusal to apply for Restoration and a change of conditions from worker to visitor.  You do not have to leave the country while your application for Restoration and a visitor permit are in process.


Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigraton Consultant

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.