Immigration Issues/green card


i m maria n divorced. i have a 7 years old son. basically from pakistan
i m on visit visa n living in USA with my son n i love somebody in new york. he is a green card holder. i wanna ask you, if i get married him in new york so am i get any resident permit or green card after marring him or if their any condition to stay with him legally in USA...

thnkx maria

Dear Maria:
Filing a marriage case involves legal complications which are better taken care of and understood with a proper consultation with an experienced attorney; I would advise you have a proper legal consultation on t his matter.  

As for your question, yes you can get married to the green card holder but the processing time would be about 3-4 years. Please see
The process would be expedited as soon he becomes a citizen.  

You may continue to be in a lawful status in the US during the process or get the case visa processed through the consulate.  

best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.