Immigration Issues/H1B extension and visa stamp

Question
Hi Ajay,
 I have an H1B visa stamped which is valid till June 2012. I have not traveled to US in this visa. Because of some personal reasons I will not be able to travel within this period. I am still employed with the same employer who filed my H1B. Please let me know whether it is possible to get this H1B extended while in India.
If not, please let me know how i can get a new H1B visa for me.(ie:- whether i have to go through the usual H1B processing by filing for the same under the H1B cap).

Also, please let me know whether there is any impact if I apply for an H4 dependent visa before applying for the H1B extension.

Answer

Your employer would file an H1B petition with the USCIS. You will not be subject to the visa cap.

Upon approval (typically about 4 months), you can then obtain a new H1B visa stamp at a nearby U.S. Consulate. No application is to be filed for your family with the USCIS. Your family can apply for H4 visa stamp directly at the Consulate when you obtain new H1B visa stamp at the Consulate.

Ajay K. Arora