Immigration Issues/H1B Transfer from nonprofit university to a company

Question
Hello,

I am currently working at a nonprofit university with a H1B sponsored by it. This cap-exempt H1B status will expire on Sept 30, 2012.

Last month, a cap-subject company filed a petition for H1B for me and got an approved I979, which will start from Oct 1, 2012 and will expire March 30, 2015. This company also has a certified LCA valid from April 1, 2012 till March 30, 2015.

Now, this company wants me to start working for them from May 1, 2012 taking advantage of a memo written by Efren Hernandez of USCIS dated May 23, 2007 on this topic of transfer from cap-exempt to cap-subject employer.

Will you please let me know what are the downsides and what later problems may arise if I start the new job before Oct 1, 2012.

Thank you very much.
Kaushik

Answer

As long as you continue to  be concurrently employed by Co. A., you can join Co. B now as well, since there is a certified LCA valid currently for Co. B. However, we are not willing to go beyond the Memo and state that it is OK to terminate your employment with Co. A prior to the H1B approval notice taking effect on Oct. 01 for Co. B.

Ajay K. Arora