Immigration Issues/L-1B to H-1B

Question
Dear Mr Arora,
I am currently working with my Indian IT company on an L-1B visa. I wish to apply for a H-1B visa via a consultancy here in USA. In case my H-1B visa application is approved, will my L-1B status cease to be valid? My L-1B visa is valid till Oct 2012, and is due for extension at that time. Can my current employer (Indian IT company) still apply for my L-1B visa extension, even after I have received the H-1B visa? That is, is it possible and legal to hold 2 different kinds of work visas (L-1B & H-1B) together at the same time?
Would appreciate your expert feedback on this.
Thanks and regards,
Deep

Answer

You can hold only one status at a time in the U.S., and the H1B approval notice will take effect on Oct. 01, 2012 (not earlier due to visa cap issues) and you will automatically be in H1B status at that time and no longer in L1B status. Thus, if your H1B petition is approved granting you change of status on Oct. 01, you will need to terminate your L1B employment on Oct. 01.  

Ajay K. Arora