Immigration Issues/LCA update for job title change

Question

My husband is on H1B and got promoted from Technical Lead to Engineering Manager on june 2011. We are planning to visit India for a short vacation around june 2012.

Usually how long does it take to update LCA with the current job title. It seems his employer said it would take 4 months. Is that true?

Thanks,
Aruna

Answer

It takes about 2 weeks for the LCA to be certified by the Department of Labor. However, if there is a material change in job duties (such as in the case of your husband), an amended H1B petition is also filed with the USCIS. The approval of an amended H1B petition typically takes 4 months.

The following information from our immigration law firm website may be helpful: http://h1b1.com/files/faq.htm#merge

Ajay K. Arora