Immigration Issues/Canadian Immigration


First of all I would like to thank you for this service.  

Me and my husband overstayed our US visa for 3 years. We were caught by immigration officials and went to court and the judge granted us with a voluntary departure. This happened almost 6 years ago. After we returned home, we decided to come to Canada but were afraid that what happened in the US would prevent us from getting a student visa, so we didn't mention that we lived in the US at all in the application. Now we are eligible to apply for the PNP. Do we have a chance for the application for residency get approved since we lied on the student visa application and now we have to mention all the places we lived since we were 18?

Hi Camila,

Thank you for your question.  You definitely have a reason for concern but it is not impossible for you to be approved for residency as a provincial nominee.  However, you MUST disclose on your PR application your residency in the US, your overstay, an FBI clearance which will show a record of this incident, etc.  You should also have legal counsel assist you in this, in my opinion, as you have a lot of disclosure and apologizing to do up front.  I cannot get into specifics of this on an internet forum because there is just too much personal information that I would need to know.  But suffice it to say that the ONLY chance you will have at being successful is if you are honest now.  Canada and the US share a lot of information pertaining to immigration.  If you apply for PR now and do not disclose this issue, and THEN Canadian immigration finds out after you apply, you will definitely NOT be approved.  So now is the time for 100% honesty.  It's your only chance at being approved and if done right, it could be a very good chance.

Best of luck.


Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]