You are here:

Immigration Issues/Change of status from L2 to H1B


I am on L2 EAD working under a US employer. My Employer is filing H1B for me this year. My L2 EAD will get expire on Nov 2012. I am planning for a travel outside US on August this year.

My doubt is
1) Will that be a problem if i travel outside being my H1B status is pending.
2) If so, is there an alternative by applying for a premium processing so that the status will change quicker?
3) And if I am able to travel, do I need to do any stamping before returing? Or can I return back with my valid L2 Visa?

Thanks in advance.

You are free to travel as long as you have a valid status.  However, if your status is about to expire - say within a month or two - you may not be allowed entry unless you show and/or prove your status extension or pending.

1) Not to my understanding.
2) You may do so, and you may have an approval before you travel.
3) You may need it if L1B is about to expire.

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.