Immigration Issues/H1 to H4 to H1

Question
Hi Ajay

I am about to complete 6 continuous years (4 years on L1B and 2 years on H1B). My wife was with me through out this period on L2 and later on H4.

1) Can she apply for H1B ?
2) Can I go on H4 once I complete 6 years provided my wife has approved H1 before my H1B expiry?
3) Can I again apply for H1B once I have completed 1 year on H4?

Appreciate your answer in advance. Thank You

Answer

Yes, your wife can obtain H1B status for a period of six years. The time spent in L2/H4 will not count; thus, she will have a full six years in H1B status.

You can change status to H4, for a maximum period of 6 years in H4 status, provided that your wife has H1B status.

You will not be able to change again from H4 to H1B, as you will already have completed 6 years in H1B status. The solution is to depart the U.S. for one year, and then the six year clock will reset.

Ajay K. Arora