Immigration Issues/H1B to H4 and back to H1B

Question
QUESTION: Hi Ajay,

I received a 221g during H1B stamping in India and USCIS is supposed to issue an intent to revoke. So far, my case hasn't progressed at all and I am planning to apply for H4 visa.

Would I need to withdraw my current H1B application if I were to apply for H4 visa? If I did not withdraw my current H1B application and went to US on H4, what would I need to do if:

1) My current H1B case progressed while I am on H4
2) My current H1B case did not progress and I apply for fresh H1B through Company B?

Thanks in advance!

ANSWER: Hi,

When you are ready to apply for H4, go ahead and withdraw the pending H1B visa application at the Consulate and file a new application for H4 visa stamp by completing Form DS-160, etc. When you are issued the H4 visa stamp and enter the U.S., you will be on H4 status.

Due to withdrawal of the H1B visa stamp application, the case will no longer progress at the Consulate. Co. B can always file an H1B petition for you requesting change of status from H4 to H1B; you will not be required to depart the U.S.

QUESTION: Thank you Ajay. What are my options if my H1B withdrawal process is not complete by the time I schedule my H4 visa interview?

Answer
Please contact the Consulate to withdraw the H1B visa application. The Consulate will probably issue the H4 visa stamp immediately when you are scheduled for the for H4 visa stamp interview as long as the withdrawal instructions for H1B are being followed even if the withdrawal has not been concluded.

Ajay K. Arora