Immigration Issues/IEC/PNP immigration plan

Hi Roxanne,

Firstly, many thanks for making your knowledge on here. I have been researching immigration to Canada for over ten years now, and there are still gaps in my knowledge that I am struggling to fill, even after consulting with immigration lawyers, so I know how difficult it is to find good information.

I have been accepted onto the 2012 IEC program and have received my letter of introduction to present at the Canadian border. I will be arriving in Vancouver in July 2012. My objective is to obtain permanent residency through the BC Provincial Nomination Program, as I understand this is the route most likely to result in a successful outcome for someone in my position.

I am reasonably optimistic about finding employment of skill level A or B, as I am educated to degree level and have around four years’ good experience in my chosen field, which is IT-related. In addition, I have previously held two Canadian working holiday visas, and I have no criminal record and have always paid my taxes!

My question is, do the following steps look sensible to you, and is there anything you think I may have overlooked?

1. Arrive July 2012 with 12-month IEC work permit.
2. Gain full-time permanent employment of skill level A or B as quickly as possible.
3. Within first 12 months: apply to PNP as soon as I am employed.
4. December/January 2012/13: apply for second IEC work permit as soon as the 2013 program opens, to cover potential processing times of PNP and CIC permanent residency applications.
5. July 2013: leave and immediately re-enter Canada to activate second IEC work permit.
6. As soon as PNP is granted: submit CIC permanent residency application.
7. Hope that permanent residency is granted before second IEC permit expires in July 2013.
8. As soon as permanent residency is granted: leave and immediately re-enter Canada to activate new status.

Also, what (if any) options would I have to extend my second IEC work permit if my application for permanent residency is not granted by the time it expires?

Many thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Hi David,

Thank you for your question.  It's always good to see that people are researching and working hard to know their options.  So with respect to your steps, my comments are as follows:

1.  Fine
2.  Fine
3.  You first need the employer to offer you a full-time permanent position in a Skill Level 0, A or B occupation and you need to ensure that you have at least 2 years of experience (international or Canadian or combined) working in a similar position.  A Provincial Nomination is a JOINT application that requires participation of BOTH the employer and the potential nominee.  The salary offered must also meet the average fair market wage as indicated in the Canadian Labour Market Information.  And the employer must show that they have tried and failed to be able to recruit Canadian citizens or permanent residents, thus their desire to sponsor a foreign national for the job.  If all of this works and can be proven showing documentation, then submit the PNP application.  Typically it is taking 8 weeks to receive a response from BC PNP.
4.  Yes, only IF you have NOT received approval of your PNP nomination by this time.  If you have already received a Letter of Approval and Nomination Certificate, you no longer need to apply for an IEC permit.  You can use the Nomination to apply for a regular work permit to extend your status.  You will not need to leave Canada.  If this is the case, request a 2 year work permit to allow time for processing of the Permanent Residence Application.
5.  See above - may not be necessary
6.  Yes - the nomination certificate will have an expiry date.  You MUST submit your application for permanent residence prior to this date.
7.  Not a worry if you have received the nomination.
8.  Yes.  You can do something called "flag poling".

I hope that helps.

Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Roxanne Jessome

I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.

I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.